Monday, March 16, 2015

Creating Artist's Books

…is harder than it looks!

As for my summary:


Rebecca Senf’s blog post is a rather detailed walkthrough of the myriad considerations an artist is face with when self-publishing a book; in addition to mentioning some pitfalls, she provides photos of examples that she reviewed during the jury selection of books to be presented in the 2014 exhibition of Self-Published Photo Books. The major points she brought up were: typeface, editing (paring down, specifically), form (does the book match content/intent?), text placement, trim size, pitfalls of templates, and why getting help matters.
The various books she selected were extremely helpful in seeing exactly what ‘works’ and why, though I would have liked to see examples of what doesn’t work as well- I can understand from her perspective as a juror that it would be inappropriate to show books submitted as such examples. That said, though, the incredible variety shown still astounds me, even after the guided tour of the artist books at the library.
I was very interested in her short section on typeface- having struggled with fonts that don’t ‘work’ on projects, I zeroed in on her suggestions. Taking photos of books that are inspirational has been something I’ve done for a few years now, so the idea of snapping fonts that might be good references make a lot of sense. I wish she’d have divulged her favorite fonts, though!
On a related note, I often see fonts I like on websites, so I did a lot of searching and found several great plugins that allow you to see the font information on type you hover over with the cursor.

WhatFont (Chrome)

Font Finder (Firefox)

No comments:

Post a Comment